4.5kg green walnuts (green cases on).
450g salt dissolved in 4.25 litres of water.
Sweet pickling brine:
2 litres malt vinegar
450g brown sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp ground allspice
0.5 tsp ground cloves
0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tblsp peeled, grated, fresh ginger.
1. Prick each walnut with a fork a few times and place in sterilised jars and cover with the dissolved salt brine and leave overnight.
2. Pour out and replace with fresh salt brine. Repeat for 3-4 days.
3. Rinse walnuts to remove excess salt, then play on a tray and allow to dry for a day or two. They will turn black, this is normal!
4. Put all the sweet pickling brine ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Add the walnuts and boil for another 5-10 minutes.
5. Spoon walnuts into a jar, cover with sweet pickling brine and seal.
6. Leave them to mature for 6 months. They'll keep for a few years.